Monday, July 9, 2012

Sign of the Twine: Rap Session, Week 1


B-ballers,

What’s good?  B-ball is sometimes misinterpreted as a sport for the most gifted athletes.  I mean, in this modern day of b-ball, Kobe, Lebron, “Melo” and “D-Rose,” have set a pretty high standard – concerning the modification of what a baller should be.  But, in my opinion; b-ball is more of a definitive expression displayed by anyone who possesses the will to compete.  Feel me?

This Rap Session introduces the masses to a youngsta the Row knows as, “Streetz.” For the past three seasons, I’ve watched him grow as a baller, but more importantly, I can see his maturation as a person.  As his insight continues to expand, Streetz recognizes that death row b-ball is more than a game.  His youthful will to compete on the court, or in the court, is not to be denied.  Stay tuned, because the Streetz is watching.  Ya heard?

MannofStat:  What is do, Streetz?

Streetz:  I’m good, fam.  Thanks for the interview.  How are you?

MannofStat:  I’m good Dunn.

Both:  (Bump fists)

MannofStat:  What would you say to the naysayers who try to put a black eye on our b-ball movement?

Streetz:  Death row b-ball has been a way for me to express myself.  I mean, the way the ball moves and sounds when it goes through the net, or the rhythm of the ball bouncing on the court, temporarily releases the tension of being stranded on death row.  Feel me?

MannofStat:  Word is bond.  That tension will either make you or break you.  Ya heard?

Streetz:  That’s real talk, MannofStat.

MannofStat:  Some ballers emulate the greats as a mean of refining their own skills.  Is there anyone you pattern your game after?

Streetz:  My style of play is simple; hustle.  Whatever I do, I go hard.  Lebron is my favorite player because he goes H.A.M. on both ends of the floor.  Now, I know I’m not a go-to man, but whatever team I play for, I give them my all.  I can defend, rebound, and score whenever my team calls on me to do so.  Being a role player is not a problem for me.

MannofStat:  The injury bug has been feeding on you lately.

Both:  (Laughs)

MannofStat:  What’s the status on your latest injury?

Streetz:  I don’t know what it is, fam.  I just can’t stay healthy (shaking his head).  My left ankle is still causing me pain every now and then, but I have an anti-inflammatory injection scheduled.  That will relieve some of the pain until I have some bone spurs removed.

MannofStat:  Aight.

Streetz:  My right thumb is fractured at the joint.  It’s been painful, but I’m healing.  I’ve already gotten the green light to play ball again.  So I’ve been shooting around, throughout the week.  Next game, I’ll be going H.A.M. nonetheless.

MannofStat:  There’s no questioning your spirit of competitiveness.  Has watching from the sidelines helped your game?

Streetz:  No doubt, fam.  Watching from the sidelines helped me to see that  I need to go harder in the paint.  I know I need to get better at timing my jump when I attempt to block a shot, but my trump will be to use my youth and speed when I’m matched up against some of the older ballers.

MannofStat:  That’s what’s up!

Streetz:  Keep doing what you do, fam.  You got skills.  I’ll see you at the table.

MannofStat:  Fo sho!

Both:  (Bump fists)

Be Easy,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment