Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sign of the Twine: Rap Session, Week 3


B-ballers, 

What it do?

“The Round Mound of Rebound,” “The Worm,” “Motown,” and “The Ring Leader” were all driven by their desire to snatch rebounds. Now, don’t get it twisted; Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman, Moses Malone, and Bill Russell brought other dimensions to the game of basketball. But, they all shared an understanding of the game that separates the good from the elite; “Rebounding wins games.”

The death row b-ball league has bred some rebounding hall of famers as well. The Carpenter has owned the rebounding title for the last two seasons. And, at 5’9” (and some change), “Lil’ Magic dominated the boards before him.

In five games, of this 2012 season, the latest addition to our b-ball fam has more than earned his place in the paint. At 6’4 ½ and 193 pounds, this rookie has produced nothing less than a double/double in all five games. Today’s output of 18 points and 20 boards helped team Regulators ascend to sole possession of 2nd place and one game above 500. B-Dot, a.k.a. 4-0-9; the glass cleaner, is about to give you a much cleaner view of how to live in the paint. Ya heard?

MannofStat: 4-0-9, what it do?

4-0-9: Everything is good, MannofStat.

MannofStat: You’ve been doing your thing in the paint. What are some of the strength and weaknesses of your game?

4-0-9: My greatest strength is that I’m underestimated. (Laughs). But, seriously, the paint is my strong point. My height and arm length allow me to take up a lot of space down there. The only weakness I could possibly point out is most of the other big men outweigh me. But mentally (taps his temple with his index finger), I’m stronger. You don’t have to look for the “Big Man,” cause I live in the paint. Ya Dig?

MannofStat: (Nods head) No doubt.

4-0-9: Playing ball on the row has been an experience because you don’t really know what to expect. But it’s all good at this level.

MannofStat: You just set a new league record for rebounds (26). Is this as good as it gets, or can we expect your numbers to increase?

4-0-9: I don’t really know, MannofStat. I still feel like I have more to give. It’ll come down to my determination and the team’s energy.

MannofStat: Your determination and the team’s energy should be one and the same. Na mean. Your rebounds start the transition. The transition leads to easy baskets. Easy baskets raise the level of confidence. And when a team is full of confidence, a mass of energy is always in the midst. Feel me?

4-0-9: Yeah, I can dig it. We need to develop into a team where we can rely on each other. The energy, excitement and wins will come.

MannofStat: That’s real talk. Keep on keepin, Dunn.

4-0-9: Good look, MannofStat.

Both: (Bumps fists)

Much Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment