Monday, September 10, 2012

Sign of the Twine: Rap Session, Week 6


KING – One that is supreme or preeminent in a particular group, category or sphere.
                                          -American Heritage College Dictionary



B-ballers,

What’s good? Every baller has a unique trait that highlights their contributions on the court. In the habitat of the death row baller, “The General” is most notable for his vocal leadership. “The Carpenter” views rebounding as his craftsmanship. And, “The Phenom” possesses the extraordinary offensive skill set that commonly leaves defenders and spectators stunned in his wake. Feel me?

Now, make way for a new distinguished breed of death row baller. The “King Cobra” has been nothing short of exceptional; when speaking of his presence on the court. This particular species defends the paint as if every possession is the last stand. Following a blocked shot or an I put-back, the King Cobra will hiss as a reminder to opponents that his serpentine style of play is what keeps his species near the top of the b-ball food chain. King Kong ain’t got nothing on him. Ssssssss!

MannofStat: K.C., what it do?

King Cobra: What’s good wit chu, MannofStat?

Both: (Hiss while bumping fists)

King Cobra: Let me start this session by giving credit to the other teams for playing in a way that got them victories over team Sky High. I offer no excuse for being 1-6. However, Sky High has only played one game with every player on our roster present. And that particular loss isn’t as disappointing as it is rewarding.

MannofStat: You’re speaking of your most recent loss to the Runnin Rebels, right?

King Cobra: Yeah. I mean, that experience taught us a valuable lesson that will be implemented to make us official contenders for that chip. Retaliation is a must!

MannofStat: This is only your second year playing under the whistle. How has your understanding of the game improved throughout that span?

King Cobra: Understanding is the best thing in the world and experience is the best teacher. Ya dig?

MannofStat: No doubt.

King Cobra: Fundamentally speaking; the game don’t change. My understanding of this game is expanding rapidly. On the court, or off; every new person entering “the Game,” needs an “O.G.” to pass them the proper knowledge and wisdom so they can eventually become a seasoned playah. So, I gotta give thanks to you, MannofStat, for giving me advice and educating me on the rules and regulations of b-ball.

MannofStat: That’s what’s up.

King Cobra: I also gotta thank my big Homie, Mac (Father Time), the purest shooter on death row. He drilled me with the basics and pointed out all the things that’s enhancing my b-ball I.Q. The verbal lessons and mental understanding are much appreciated. And I can’t forget my recreation group; my peers in the tournament; and my workout partners. The on court experience is making me better and the iron has gotten me stronger in the paint.

MannofStat: In closing, what else is on the King Cobra’s mind?

King Cobra: Let me pay homage to my homeboy, “The Blueprint.” “Aann Ant” (A Fayetteville Street Call), your memory is alive and well. Big ups to your stat crew (Mr. Blue, El Indio, Froggy Frogg and Pop-A-Shot) for doing the math. What up, “Big Bank, Diesel and Lil Magic: Good Look on officiating the games and letting us play. Thanks for the interview, Big Bruh. Peace and blessings to everybody.

MannofStat: That’s what’s good.

Both: Ssssssss!

One Love,


MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment