Sunday, February 23, 2014

Legacy Infinite Rap Session Making a Point


“I’m an unselfish person, on and off the court.  I truly enjoy seeing other people happy, and do good.”
The General, of Team Dead Game

Acts of unselfishness should be a manifestation of one’s heart.  In football, certain plays are designed for the quarterback to run the ball.  He may get the first down, or even take it to the house for six.  But at some point and time during the game, his coach and teammates expect him to facilitate.  A quarterback with ambitions of running whenever the opportunity presents itself is simply a running back taking snaps from center.  Feel me?

The same stands true for a point guard – the quarterback of the hardwood.  Running the point consists of much more than a flashy pat and bragging rights to the latest set of broken ankles in his wake.  The General – last season’s assist champ – is one year removed from a championship season.  This year, he’s manning the point for Team Dead Game (2-5).  Win or lose, this point guard keeps his head in the game.  “I give my squad the glory when we win, and I take the heat for our L’s.  I’ve been slowed by a fractured ankle, but I guarantee a winning record the rest of the regular season.”

Wow! Strong words coming from the floor leader, whose team is battling just to stay out of the cellar, of the regular season standings.

Coming fresh off a championship, then playing for a squad struggling to stay out of last place can be discouraging for some ballers, but The General refuses to merely go through the motions.

“Winning the chip and the assist title in the same season, reassured me of my capabilities once the ball goes in the air.  I have to give Coach Squires more of the same.  Controlling the pace of the game and being unselfish will be key to the turnaround of Team Dead Game.  2-5, or 5-2; it makes no difference.  I’m gonna give what I got til the buzzer sounds.”

The fire of a point guard is always welcome in this commentary.  Na mean?  The General insistently makes it clear that this season’s theme, Legacy Infinite, isn’t exclusive to his court vision.

“Legacy Infinite is the perfect saying.  I feel like people will always judge you by what you put before them.  The legacy that I want to put before the people is my unselfishness on and off the court.  In saying that; I wanna shout-out you, MannofStat.  The Blueprint (R.I.P.); my brothers in the zebra suits – manning the whistles; my Peoples behind the scorers’ table for your consistency and commitment.  And lastly; my Dead Game teammates.  Championship or nothing!”

While the fire was reaching it’s peak, I mentioned his end of game decision making with 7.7 seconds left in a game, in which his squad proved to be victorious.  The General drove the length of the floor – only to face a double team.  Without an ounce of panic, he threw a no – look pass to his cutting center Pitt Bull, for the left-handed game winner.  It’s only right that we close this rap session with a hypothetical end of game scenario.  Na mean?

A point guard always wants to be the start of a great finish – whether he’s taking the last shot or not.  So, I simply put 5 seconds on the clock, with Dead Game trailing by 2.  Do you take the last shot General?

“Defense always dictates the game.  If it’s a break, I’m gonna get the rock to Heart-N-Soul.  If it’s a spot – up shot, without question, Scrappy pulls it.  I can live with either choice.  As long as we get the W, the last hands to touch the rock, before it goes in the cup, really doesn’t matter to me.”

Legacy granted.  Ya heard?

Nuff Said,

MannofStat

Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment