Sunday, April 6, 2014

Legacy Infinite Rap Session: Phenomenal Farewell



Legendary athletes are few, and far between.  The best of these athletes will somehow find a way to go out on top.  I mean, “The Truth,” Bill Russell walked away from the game he loved, after defeating the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA finals, simply because it just didn’t feel right anymore.  Word is bond!

Who could forget that “Air” Jordan precluded his first two retirements by winning championships against the Phoenix Suns in 1993, and the Utah Jazz in 1998?  I was pulling for Charles Barkley in that 1993 final too.  SMH

Death row b-ball has been the platform for many memorable performances.  But the hall of famers in this league stand alone, from all the rest: Lil’ Magic is the only baller to record multiple triple-doubles.  Heart-N-Soul raised the bar of thievery to new heights when he tallied 10 thefts in a single outing.  And the Human Eraser?  Well, he’s tops in this league in redirecting shots- tallying 234 blocks in his past 5 seasons.  Yeah!  B-ball isn’t something we do, it IS what we do.  Ya heard?

Now, The Phenom, arguably the most dynamic scorer in the history of our league (dropped 52 in last season’s championship game), is a H.O.F. that has gone above and beyond to etch his mark in our Concrete history.  In what appears to be his final season, The Phenom has entered this year’s postseason as the league M.V.P.  The scoring champ (28.6 per), assist leader (4.7 per),  and the league leader in steals (3.6 per).  With such dominant numbers, I just had to ask, “why??!!”

“Well my heart longs to be in every ball game, but my body says its time to fall back.” As if on cue, he rubs his right knee.  “On a competitive level, the game for me hasn’t been the same since Lil’ Magic left the court.  You know better than anybody that we had some epic battles.  I don’t know…the more I stay out there, the more I feel that I’m chasing a high.”

Chasing a high?  According to my numbers, The Phenom has been serving that pure uncut raw.  So I asked if there was some type of statement behind his play this season.  He’s never led the league in 3 separate categories, before now.  “There are some guys out there with incredible talent, so it feels good to show them up, in more ways that one (Laughs).”

His self-confidence exudes a quirky sense of humor that I’ve grown fond of over the years.  Real talk.  “No but seriously, MannofStat.  I just want to do more.  Give my teammates more opportunities to score the ball.”

Anyone that has experienced seasons past (Summer Madness, The Wet Season and Bringing the Heat) knows that The Phenom’s above the rim play usually led to some spectacular flushes.  Deprivation of b-ball artistry is upon us, due to the recent “Anti-Flushing” rule.

“The Anti-flushing rule takes away a strong element of the game.  Nothing pumps a team up like a player rising to the occasion, and throwing it down with authority.”  His eyes grow wide as he takes in the mental rep of rising above the rim.

“MannofStat, I can’t tell you how much I miss ballin’ with Trap and E-Boogie (R.I.P.).  We always managed to wow and take the breath away from players and spectators with our high flying dunks.”

The nostalgia begins to overwhelm my veins.  The real talk between a point guard and his favorite scoring machine has the flow of two brothers getting together for a lunch at Hooters; there’s never a dull moment.  Na mean?

So, my final assist to lil’ Bro is asking him to define his game in the fashion of an elevator speech; expeditiously.  He rubs his hands together as if a fire is brewing within his palms, before he speaks the exclamation point of his b-ball legacy.

“Veni. Vidi. Vici; I came.  I saw.  I conquered.” Basket, and I.  Ya heard?

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment