Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 1 Rap Session

B-Ballers,

What's poppin’?

I’m still high on the fumes of our 1st week, which is why I’m coming at you with this special edition called “Rap Session.” I’m constantly in the ears of the masses, so my perspective is what it is. It’s mine, feel me?

This special edition is an opportunity to hear from the ballers on a personal level. This past weekend, I caught up with some of our “Monster Ballers.” Hear the love of this game in words from Rodney “Bucktown” Taylor, Chris “Bigg Dogg” Gregory, Darrell “Billy-Ho” Maness and Martin “Heart-N-Soul” Richardson. Aight fellas, let’s do this.

MannofStat: Heart-N-Soul, you haven’t played with Lil’ Magic since we wrecked shop in 2006 with Team Dynasty. Is the formula the same?

Heart-N-Soul: I ain’t even gonna sugarcoat it, it’s like giving candy to a 2 year old!! HBO and Showtime! I’m not saying that we can’t be beat, but it’s hard to beat a stat stuffer and a prince of thieves; Heart-N-Soul and Lil’ Magic. It’s like peanut butter and jelly. Ya heard?

MannofStat: Aight, I can definitely hear that “Dynasty” swag, but I don’t want the masses to think this is a “Dynasty” reunion. My man Bigg Dogg coached team Set it Off last year. What’s it like to be back on the court as a player?

Bigg Dogg: I was thrilled to be back on the court amongst true warriors. Don’t get me wrong, coaching is about developing chemistry, intensity and camaraderie, but its still from a spectator’s view. Last year I caught myself itching to go in and help my team win some games. Mixing it up with the best in the league awakens my competitive nature! Big ups to all the gladiators! For iron sharpens iron.

Mannofstat: Wow! If that ain’t love, what is? My workout partner, Bucktown, is one half of the explosive b-ball combination TNT. You took a tough loss in last year’s playoffs. How do you overcome that?

Bucktown: The agony of defeat is a mean thing to deal with, especially when you’re a competitive person. Because of that, I can’t overcome the loss. I have to live with it and all the trash talking that comes with it. However, it motivates me to play better and harder.

MannofStat: I feel you Bucktown. Bring the pain this year Dunn. Ya heard? Now if you don’t already know, Billy Ho was the sidekick to Wesley Snipes in that 90’s b-ball flick, "White Men Can't Jump." The underestimated white cat whose game just crept up on everybody like bam!! Na mean? With that said, Billy Ho, tell us what death row b-ball means to you?

Billy Ho: It’s a number of things. It’s a means of escape beyond these prison walls. You can’t fully understand death row b-ball until you’ve experienced it. Words can only say so much. Being trapped behind these walls, then stepping on the court, the walls just disappear. Pure elation.

During the tournament games it’s even better. You’ve got a crowd of people watching and cheering you on. Sure, in reality they’re death row prisoners, but I don’t see that. I see myself playing in front of my mom and little sister and others that I don’t know, but they’re calling my name.

For the short time that I get to play b-ball every day I am released. No worries, no boundaries, just me and the game I love.

MannofStat: B-ballers, if you don’t know, now you know. I’m not the only ballaholic on the row. Stay tuned for more interviews. As for this session, like Kool G, it’s a rap.

Be Easy,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment