Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 2, Rap Session

B-ballers,


What’s poppin? Welcome back to another dose of “Rap Session,” a segment that isn’t highlighted by my b-ball commentary. It’s more of a vehicle for the masses to get to know the ballers as individuals. Na mean?

This week, I’m politicking with two of our league’s better complementary players, Elrico “Concrete” Fowler and Paul “Pablo” Cummings, aka Lil’ Bison. They might not always score the most points, or grab the most rebounds, but they have the ability to change games, which makes their intangibles a commodity to any team they play on. Word is bond!


MannofStat: Pablo or should I call you, Lil Bison? I mean your squad did put the stampede down this week.

Pablo: (Laughs) True, but Pablo is cool for now. I’ll be Lil Bison at game time. Feel me?

MannofStat: Aight! Now that’s what I’m talking about, the ultimate warrior. Ya. Heard? (Laughs)

Pablo: (Laughs) For sure.
MannofStat: Your squad Elixir was 2-0 this week. How does it feel to be 500 after starting the season 0-2?

Pablo: Man, it feels great. I’m all smiles, yo. It’s like Nas said, “It’s good to win, but it’s better to hate to lose.”

MannofStat: True indeed, but on the flip side of that coin, I gotta ask my man Concrete about his squad, The Realest. Can you turn this season around after a 0-4 start?
Concrete: Personally, I refuse to believe in defeat, as long as I’m giving my everything.

MannofStat: Aight.

Concrete: As a team we have to reject our defeatist attitudes. My best friend always says, “Have a game dog mentality.” With that, we can definitely turn this season around.

MannofStat: You pride yourself on your defense, right?

Concrete: No doubt.

MannofStat: And, defense changes games. Explain your mindset when you’re matched up against some of the league’s top scores.

Concrete: You have to be able to change your defensive tactics. Everyone has a weakness in their game and oft times their weakness can be their strength. So, I attack their strengths by being faster, stronger or more aggressive and cerebral.

MannofStat: Yeah, I’m feeling that. My man Concrete spittin’ that real S.B.I. (Superior Ballers Intellect). Ya heard?

Pablo: (Laughs)

Concrete: (Laughs)

MannofStat: Aight. This last question is for the both of you. How has death row b-ball affected your life?

Pablo: Wow! That’s a good question homie. Let’s consider the circumstances. We’re considered “the worst of the worst,” amongst humanity, by an unjust system. Feel me? So, to be able to do something on a collective level proves to the masses what type of characters the judicial system has characterized as “the worse of the worst.”

What we’re doing on the row is a true characteristic of positivity. An unknown author once said, “Basketball doesn’t build character, it revels it.”I’ve witnessed these words manifest themselves on the row. I love this game, yo. This situation helps me understand that life is basketball, because if you lose or make a mistake, how you gather yourself reveals your character. Feel me?


MannofStat: Like the summer sun on the rec yard Dunn. Take us home Concrete.

Concrete: Ballin’ in this situation reminds me that I’m still alive, willing and able; and by this, my hunger is renewed to stay focused and to continue to struggle for relief and liberation.

MannofStat: That’s what’s good!

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment