Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Sign of the Twine: 2012 PreSeason Rap Session



B-ballers, 

What’s good?

As I list to Kobe “Bean” Bryant square off with Kevin Durant, a.k.a “Durantula,” I can’t help but think of the death row ballers gathering for our annual preseason meeting, yesterday (5/18/12).

The atmosphere was heavily fueled with b-ball intensity.  Looking around the conference room, I could see The Phenom wearing his game face;  The Carpenter sitting in the corner, daring someone to challenge his rebounding supremacy;  SunChild contemplating whose shot he’ll send to the weight pile, in the opening game;  and Heart-N-Soul ready to retain his status as MVP and Defensive Player of the Year.

Standing in the midst of these ballers, naturally triggered the point guard within me:
  • ·          Behind the back pass to Heart-N-Soul while in transition.
  • ·         Throwing the back door lob to The Phenom; Game Time!!
  • ·         Taking an outlet pass from The Carpenter after he clears the boards.
  • ·         Copping a steal because SunChild forced my opponent into a poor decision.

The only ingredient missing was setting records with Lil’ Magic.  Find out why in this 1st Rap Session of 2012.

MannofStat:  Lil’ Magic how you feel, Dunn?

Lil’ Magic:  I’m good, MannofStat.

Both:  Exchange the Team Dynasty handshake (2 slaps to the right palm).

MannofStat:  No wet jumpers.  No barking as a coach.  You’re wearing a whistle this year.  With no chip to chase, what can we expect from you as an official?

Lil’ Magic:  The transition from player to coach wasn’t hard for me because I’ve always been an extension of my coach whenever I’m on the floor.  The communication was always there.  Now, the transition to ref may be hard at first.

MannofStat:  So what’s the strategy for a rookie ref?

Lil’ Magic:  Well, I’m gonna  keep it fair.  Call what I see or feel I see, and stick with it.  I’m an aggressive baller, so I’m gonna let the guys play at times.  I’ll probably get some dirty looks, but that comes with the territory.  Feel me?

MannofStat:  No doubt.  But, what’s it going to be like watching The Phenom do his thing from an officiating standpoint?

Lil’ Magic:  Man, you know me and The Phenom have had some great battles throughout the years.  He may be my on court nemesis, but he’s still my brother.  So, I want him to do well.

MannofStat:  That’s what’s up.  Let’s switch gears for a minute.  What’s the status with your back injury?

Lil’ Magic:  Well, I’m still in the process of healing.  The neurologist doesn’t want me lifting anything over 20 pounds for at least 4 months.

MannofStat:  So that General Tso Chicken shouldn’t be a problem next week? (Laughs)

Lil’ Magic:  (Laughs) No sir.

MannofStat:  Aight.  It seems like it’s taking forever for my Achilles to heal.  I can only imagine what its like recovering from back surgery.

Lil’ Magic:  I gotta tell you, MannofStat, I was scared.  I had a herniated disc touching a nerve.  It was a painful process that I wouldn’t wish on anybody.  The surgery was something I really needed.

MannofStat:  I’m sure, but now its on you to apply that same on court desire to your rehab and recovery.  You’ll be good if you take that same approach.  Good luck with that whistle, Dunn.

Lil’ Magic:  Thanks MannofStat.

Both:  (2 slaps to the right palm).


Be Easy,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment