Friday, August 30, 2013

Legacy Infinite: Rap Session, Between the Baselines


B-ballers,


What it do?  By now you should already be appreciating my man Bigg Dogg’s commentary pertaining to our inaugural preseason b-ball tournament.  He and Mr. Blue will be handling the game-by-game commentary for this season’s b-ball expressions.  Your MannofStat will be coming at you from time to time, on the Rap Session tip.  So let’s do this the way it’s supposed to be done.  Aight?

Last season’s top coach has been establishing his b-ball pedigree since his kinship to the legendary “Team Dynasty” in 2006.  Low key like a baritone, J-Rock coached last season’s tournament champs (Runnin Rebels) to a respectable 12-2 record.  As I write these words, I find it to be poetic justice for a “Team Dynasty” alumnus to have coached a team, skilled enough to tie our postseason scoring record (94 pts) – set back on 4/25/06.  That’s what’s up!

The topic of his chip chasing Runnin Rebels and Team Dynasty, inflames the already heated b-ball passion within the coach/wing nightmare.

“Team Dynasty consisted of the best players, but we still had to show and prove on the court.  Last season, I had the luxury of coaching great players.  But hell; witness Lebron James.  Talent alone doesn’t get this job done.  You still gotta compete.”

J-Rock’s fiery passion for this game, transitioned into a discussion about the 2001 NBA finals.  This is a painful memory for me, because his Lakers handled my Sixers in 5 games (4 straight wins after game 1).  Three of the Lakers’ wins came at the expense of my hometown crowd.  SMH.

“I love a good fight, even if I lose.  It’s the answer to the game.  Like Allen Iverson in the NBA finals, Philly took game 1, at Staples, but sometimes one blow is enough to inspire that competitive spirit.  Everybody can’t win.  Someone has to lose to Goliath.”

Okay Playa, Despite the fact my Sixers’ 30 year championship rut is a sensitive subject for me; I continued our rap session without pause.  I quickly changed the subject by asking if he could put together another championship squad.

“No doubt.  The talent pool on the row is filled with men who are willing to put forth the effort it takes to win.  The improvement amongst players and the mental part of the game is there.”

Now, the ballers on the row pat the rock all year long, but they decided to put some numbers to this year’s off-season feats.  The top coach decided to lace up his kicks and accumulate some numbers of his own.  Na mean?  He put forth an impressive preseason showing.  I had to ask if this preseason tournament awakened his desire to play. 

“Pretty much.  Drop a couple of treys; take em’ to the rack with the left; And 1!! I’m good (Laughs).  I don’t know, I this its time to hang it up.”

When asked how he deals with the tension and negativity that surrounds our current living status, he leaves us with this jewel:

“Yoga; plain and simple.  At the end of the day, it’s the challenge of overcoming that negativity that drives me.  So, I accept this challenge, because without it I couldn’t grow.  It’s life.  You gotta appreciate the negative with the positive.”

That’s real talk coming from a baller who wants to finish as a winner, on and off the court.  On that note, I’ll leave you with the high-powered And 1 slogan:  “Before you start, you better know how to finish.” Ya heard?
 
Much Love,

MannofStat, RAP SESSION
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment