Saturday, March 29, 2014

Legacy Infinite Rap Session: Choppin It Up With The Barber


“We view each game like a chess match, and do our best to out-think our opponents.  If you think before you act in an endeavor, you will achieve better results.”
Bucktown, of Team Apocalypse

Nostalgia awaits me whenever I enter a barbershop.  The smell of the powder; the buzz of the clippers, even the sting of the alcohol seeping into my adjusted image is always a welcome experience.  

Just sitting in a barber’s chair without the slightest reservation of what may become of your image – says a great deal about the barber assigned to the task of adjusting your image.  Think about it; a barber can be like a good teammate.  If you trust him to do his job, you should expect the best results.  Na mean?

As this goes to press, team Apocalypse sits at 7-3 – upon facing team Hakuna Matata (7-3) for the 4th, and possibly the final time of the regular season.  Former Defensive Player of the Year, Bucktown, has emerged for team Apocalypse, as a dependable defensive anchor, to their front line.

Averaging 2.2 steals and 1.9 blocks (8 in one game), Bucktown embraces the magnitude of the upcoming battle for first place with the same approach as a barber cutting his first head.

“It’s a must win game for us.  It’s our biggest test; one we want to pass.  You know that feeling you have before facing an important task?” He pats his stomach for emphasis.  “Anxious. That ‘s how we feel.”

Bucktown makes his point, then proceeds to put the sharp line to my “ant trail” sideburns. With a steady hand, the southpaw comments on the possibility of entering the postseason as a #2 seed.

“Second place is not an option.  It’s something I don’t even think about.  I’ve played for 3-second place teams, and I’m not trying to be like the Buffalo Bills.  I want it all, so anything less would be a big disappointment.  Feel me?”

I can only raise my eyebrows to acknowledge his point.  I’m compelled to remain silent, as his clippers make their way toward my mustache.  It begins to feel like a defensive tactic when Bucktown takes full reign of the Rap session.  “Legacy Infinite is Immortal After Death.  It says when we are gone from this place, the spirit of what we’re doing and why we do it, will continue.”

He starts in on my goatee.  I trust in his craftsmanship, so I mention “The Blueprint” from the corner of my mouth.  “Aw man, The Blueprint?” The clippers release my face, and for the first time Bucktown appears to be incapable of carrying out his task as a barber.  He hits the off switch and the clippers go silent.  The only buzz in the barbershop is the passion within Bucktown’s voice.

“Here on North Carolina’s death row, The Blueprint is immortal after death.  Us playing basketball in an organized fashion is his legacy.  And through us it’s infinite.”  He takes a step back before continuing.

“He put it down, and it’s on us to carry it on.  You picked up the torch, MannofStat and took it to the next level.  Because of you, Bro, death row basketball in North Carolina has meaning.  We are literally Ballin’ Til We Fall.  The court, for us, is a double-entrendre.  We on it, and in it until we fall. Feel me?”

Yeah, I’m definitely feeling that like an old school Tribe Called Quest track.  This vibe is milk; we may as well be breast-fed. Na mean?

Bucktown gives me a pound, and the ensuing buzz of the clippers warns me of Bucktown’s return to work.  I don’t care where your barbershop is located: in a prison, the hood, suburbs, or a ship in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  The barbershop experience can be a teaching moment. 

Whenever I sit in Bucktown’s chair, I expect the best results.  When he steps on the court, the best results have already been played out, in his mind.  A good barber can be the best teammate.  Look in your mirror and check the results.  Ya heard?

Much Love,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment