Monday, March 17, 2014

Legacy Infinite: Rap Session, Smoove Like Butter



A baller’s coming of age rarely excludes the bumps and bruises of being recognized as second best.  I mean, let’s face it, Lebron James had to go through some disappointment-filled seasons, while playing in Cleveland.  

His individual accomplishments meant nothing until he took his talents to South Beach three seasons ago.  And we all know how that turned out.  Right?

Team Hakuna Matata is this season’s underrated steamroller.  With two decisive victories over team Apocalypse – the preseason favorite to win the chip – the lead operator of this steamroller, E-Smoove, isn’t the least bit hesitant about revealing his ambitions for the upcoming postseason.

“This is our championship to lose.  Frost and me were teammates on last year’s runner-up squad, ‘Silverbacks.’ We came on strong in the end, but we couldn’t finish when it counted.  Somehow the draft brought us together again for another run at it.  Will we lose it?  Not this year, Big Homie.”

You can’t help but appreciate the confidence of a baller like E-Smoove.  Over the years, I’ve watched him evolve from the quiet complementary player; to the vocal leader with a midrange game that’s simply smoove like butter.  Word is bond!  After eight games, E-Smoove is averaging 26.2 points, 10.3 rebounds and 2.1 steals.  

With six games scoring 25-plus points (including 36 and 32 points outbursts) and tallying four double/doubles while doing so, it’s no wonder why the words ‘All-Business” has become a continuous chant around the yard, when E-Smoove steps on the court.  I asked him what’s been the difference.

“If you don’t put in the work, you don’t get better.  If I’m on the yard playing ball, I’m working on something to better my game.  The difference this year is I knew I needed to get better, because when the whistles blow, nobody is going to give you anything.  So if you bring nothing you get nothing.  Believe that!

In search of his first title, E-Smoove is driven by his hunger for the chip, but understands he can’t do it alone.  “I know I wouldn’t be doing any of this without the support of my team.  When the ball goes up, I’m All Business, but one can’t win the chip.  In my eyes, individual is not a word on this team.  The only accomplishment that counts is winning the chip.”

This season has been the ‘All Business’ campaign for E-Smoove, but his modesty becomes apparent when I asked him to describe his hunger of winning a title.  A subtle hint of pride surfaces when he shifts the focus to his niece, Ke Yana Jones.  “My niece is the best point guard coming out of The Ville (Fayettville, N.C.).  So two-six stand up!” He pauses to gather his thoughts.  He rubs his beard, and his head angles toward the floor.  He takes a few seconds before continuing.  

“I’m not sure if I have the words to describe such a feeling.  But this letter that my niece wrote to me is on point.  She mentioned something about Hoop Life.  She told me to stand strong regardless of what obstacles I have to cross, I will succeed!  She ended the letter by saying, ‘go win!’” His head bounces in agreement with Ke Yana’s inspiring words.  The determination to win was evident in his body language.

When I gave him a pound, Ke Yana’s words were still ringing through my mental.  I was reminded of that climatic moment when Adrian whispers in the ear of her stressed out #1 contender, in the epic film, ‘Rocky II.’ She was just coming out of a coma when she says, “win.” Three letters that inspired a contender to become the champ.  Don’t be surprised if this season’s “All-Business” campaign concludes in a similar fashion.  Ya heard?


Be Easy,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2013 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment