Monday, October 4, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 3 Rap Session


B-ballers, what it do?

 
Shot-blocking is a dimension of basketball that is too often underrated. At times, this critical dimension of the game can be written off as mere stoppage of play, but shot-blocking is so much more than that.

Wilt “The Stilt” Chamberlin changed the game with his ability to block shots, but Bill Russell mastered this craft and used it as the driving force to win 9 chips in 11 years. Real talk. I spent some time with two of our league’s premier shot-blockers, Stacey “Scoop” Tyler, aka “The Human Eraser” and Eddie “E-Smoove” Taylor, aka “The Delete Technician.” Not many shots go uncontested when these ballers are on the floor. Na mean?

MannofStat: Scoop, what’s good?

Scoop: Yeah, what up?

MannofStat: E-Smoove, how you?

E-Smoove: I’m good Dawg.

MannofStat: Who was the best shot-blocker ever?

Scoop: Without question, Hakeem, “The Dream” Olajuwon. 3,830 blocks. Nuff said.

E-Smoove: Well, the stats say The Dream, but in my mind Dikembe Mutombo was the greatest. When you saw that finger, you knew what it was. That was intimidation man.

Sccop: Yeah, but what appealed to me is the manner in which The Dream handled his. No screams, no pointing, no finger waving, just playing ball and waiting on the next opportunity.

MannofStat: Aight, I can see both sides of that ball, but Bill Russell was like the Picasso of shot-blocking. I mean, changing the course of a shot and turning it into an opportunity for your team to score is definitely something special. Feel Me?

Scoop: I agree. Bill Russell made shot-blocking an art. When you think about it, everything must be done with precision; timing that release, the moment of lift-off and the brutal assault on the ball. To do that intact, makes one the creator of “art” in motion.

MannofStat: Okay, Playa (Laughs). Break out the scuba gear, cause we’re about to get deeper than oceanography. Ya heard?

All: (Laughs)

MannofStat: Real talk. E-Smoove, you gotta spit some real on this emotional rollercoaster you and team Ruffnex have been on these last two weeks. I mean, you was doing it in week one, averaging 24 points and 10 boards. How do you get back to that form?

E-Smoove: I just wanna win, Dawg. If the numbers come, they come. I love the game. The 1st week we just played ball and had fun. Then emotions came into play and it showed in the team’s performance.

MannofStat: In saying that, where does this team rank compared to other teams you’ve played on?

E-Smoove: By far, this is the best team I’ve been on and Big Bank is the best coach I’ve played under. All we need to do is come together and we’ll win.

MannofStat: Has ballin on the row made a difference in your life?

E-Smoove: No doubt, without it, this would be an all day soap opera. These are the days of our lives. As the world turns on death row. Know what I’m sayin’?

All: (Laughs)

Scoop: “The Blueprint” taught me that every team starts with one person willing to sacrifice for others. To lead the way you want to be led. I have great respect and appreciation for Earl “E” Richmond (R.I.P.) [“Bringing the Heat: Fuego A Tribute” – 9/15/10 (http://www.balltilwefall.blogspot.com/)]. I love the game. It’s one place where everyone becomes that leader and are led.

E-Smoove: True indeed. Big-ups to “Big E.” R.I.P. Dawg. It’s because of you I love death row b-ball. Your memory lives on.

MannofStat: Can’t stop won’t stop. Word is bond!

 
One,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scoop!
    We have much Luv for ya!
    Pastors Rodney and Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Rodney and Roberta,

    I received your comments and I want to thank you for your support. Our league appreciates you logging on. "The Human Eraser" wants you to know that the love is mutual and with you and the entire Serenity and Healing Ministries family is with me, I will Ball Til I Fall. We love your comments.

    Much luv,

    Scoop, a.k.a "The Human Eraser"

    ReplyDelete