Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bringing the Heat Week 4 Rap Session

B-ballers,

What it do?

Basketball can be about physical dominance (Dwight Howard). It can be about athleticism (Dwayne Wade. At times, b-ball is a chess match between infinite b-ball IQs (Phil Jackson and Glenn “Doc” Rivers). But, the end result is always about having a good time. Na mean?

Certain ballers draw the spectator’s attention as soon as they step on the court. In some cases, if these “fan favorites” are not on the court, the spectators will shout the player’s name until the coach decide to put the requested player into the game. The fanfare on the row can be very persuasive. Word is bond!

These “fan favorites” inspire others, not because they’re the most athletic or physically imposing. They inspire others through their efforts and willingness to be a line in a chain known as death row b-ball. The integrity of this chain is what makes us who we are. Whether it is running the figure eight drill with J-Rock and Bigg Dogg or shooting free throws with The General. Death row b-ball is a language of its own and despite the different characters and backgrounds amongst us; it’s the language that solidifies the integrity of our chain. Ya heard?

Hear the voices of two links in our b-ball chain. This week’s Player of the Week, “Jimi-Jam” and the embodiment of team spirit, “Ernie."

MannofStat: What’s good fellas?

Jimi-Jam: What’s up, homeboy?

Ernie: What’s up?

MannofStat: Aight Jam. Let’s clear the air. You’re from Asheville, NC. Why do you call me your homeboy?

Jimi-Jam: Because I used to live in Philly. Mr. Doobie Greenwood is my kinfolk. 17th and Chew. Oh, excuse me, is that cool if I give a shout out?

MannofStat: Cooler than a fan, Jam.

Jimi-Jam: Thank you man. I’m just happy to be here.

MannofStat: Ernie, you’ve been a part of this tournament for years. What do you find exciting about death row b-ball?

Ernie: I love the game. The thrill of being able to compete with the best is what excites me the most. I’m old and slow, but I’m grateful to be able to get out there and participate. Just doing my job to help my team.

Jimi-Jam: Yeah man, I kind of feel like that too, but this week every time I stepped on the court I felt like I could score 30 points, steal 5 balls, block 6 shots and snatch 10 rebounds.

MannofStat: (Laughs) Easy Jame, you’re old-school man. You really think you can put it down like that?

Jimi-Jam: Even better homeboy.

MannofStat: How much better?

Jimi-Jam: I’m so fired up at game time homeboy, I feel like I could score 60 points in 40 minutes.

MannofStat: Wow! That’s what’s up! Now back to reality (Laughs).

Jimi-Jam: C’mon homeboy (Laughs).

MannofStat: Ernie, tell me how death row b-ball has made a difference in your life?

Ernie: I’m learning about the game from the best players in the league. I’ve been able to apply these same lessons to my everyday life.

MannofStat: Give me an example.

Ernie: To play as a team, you can’t be selfish and with us living together, here on the row, we can’t be selfish because we’re all in the same boat. Regardless of our individual situations, we’re still on the same team.

MannofStat: Respect. I got my high beams on Ernie. I can definitely see you. Ya heard?

Jimi-Jam: MannofStat, let me bless the masses with a freestyle.

MannofStat: Nah Jam, we’re on the 3rd strike.

Jimi-Jam: 3rd strike?

MannofStat: Yeah, we out.

Stay up,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

2 comments:

  1. B'ball is the game of life. Good blog, great insight, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,
    Thanks for the encouraging comment. I hope Ball Til We Fall is doing for you what it has done for me. Because, its like you said: "B-ball is the game of life." That's what's up!

    Stay tuned Mary. The positivity is unending. I look forward to your future input.
    Be Easy,

    MannofStat

    ReplyDelete