Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 5 Rap Session

B-ballers,

What’s good?

The 5th week of our regular season is officially in the books. This season has been so addictive; I was compelled to return to the court this weekend. It felt good being back in the trenches. Ya heard? I mean, throwing lobs to The Phenom, running the break with Bigg Dogg and encouraging my man Mr. Skeeta to look for his shot is all second nature to me. But, competing against fellow ballaholics like: Lil Magic, Runny Ray, The General and Pitt Bull feeds the physical side of my passion for this game.

It was the perfect appetizer to today’s rap session with refined b-ball enthusiast Mr. J.T. Now, I’m old school like block parties and penny candy, but the principal is about to feed our mental. Na mean?

MannofStat: J.T. What’s good?

J.T.: I’m well Mr. Mann. How are you?

MannofStat: I’m aight. Gotta Keep on Swinging. Na mean?

J.T.: I know exactly what you mean.

MannofStat: From the door, let’s inform the masses of how long you’ve been on the row.

J.T.: Moving into my 24th year. Ouch!

MannofStat: I feel your pain my man. My 13 years haven’t been without its scars either. Na mean?

J.T.: True indeed. Basketball has definitely been good for us.

MannofStat: Speaking of, basketball was a mere recreation back in the day. Explain to the masses how this b-ball tournament affects the death row population.

J.T.: You know, I really wish it had been mere recreation for all of us. But, for some those with less talent and limited skills, it became a place for derision, by some with plenty of talent but smaller minds. The limited time access didn’t help at all.

MannofStat: Aight. So what’s the prognosis now?

J.T.: Well, as far as now, I couldn’t be happier. The tournament turns everyone into a Zen practitioner, if only for that short period of time. Nobody is losing themselves to the past, nor running after a future.

MannofStat: Well, don’t stop now; you’ve got my high beams on J.T. Continue to educate.

J.T.: We, all of us, individually yet collectively dwell happily in the present moment. Now, as I am a practicing Buddhist, I couldn’t be more pleased as I am when I witness and live these events. Being in the moment/tournament is very liberating and rewarding.

MannofStat: Is it possible for us to make our tournament even better?

J.T.: It would be nice if we could have more input in all areas. More prep time, you know? Maybe get some film as this program may not exist in the next few years. Just opening up the yard for everyone to view the games that we all might rise.

MannofStat: That’s what’s up! But tell me, who did you watch growing up?

J.T.: “The Big O,” Willis Reed and “Lord” Bill Russell to name a few. These guys were not only talented to the 9th degree; they made it a point to bring everyone on the court with them. That made them all better players. You know what I’m taling about?

MannofStat: No doubt.

J.T.: These days, I find myself more focused on the coaching, but I have a question for you.

MannofStat: Aight, spit.

J.T.: Do you think Pat Riley will come down from the front office to coach again this season?

MannofStat: It’s highly possible. I remember Pat Riley in the 80’s, when he was coaching the “Showtime” Lakers. His competitiveness is unending, so you know he’s getting tired of hearing about Phil Jackson’s 11 championship rings. Feel me?

J.T.: Yes, indeed.

MannofStat: Thanks for stopping by J.T.

J.T.: It’s been my pleasure, Mr. Mann. Thanks for the inclusion

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment