Monday, November 8, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 7 Rap Session

B-ballers,


What it do?

Since the origin of basketball, every era has had a baller or two who’s credited for revolutionizing the sport (e.g. Wilt Chamberlin (60’s), Earl “The Pearl” Monroe (70’s), Michael “Air” Jordan (80’s), & Allen “The Answer” Iverson (90’s)).

With that said, I introduce you to the Lincoln & the Cadillac of our league, J-Rock of team Elixir (4-7) and Silk Money of the Realest (1-10). On cruise control, these cats fill up the stat sheet whenever they take the court. In their last head to head matchup, they combined for 45 points, 21 rebounds, 7 steals and 3 blocks. They are the manifestations of a revolutionary b-ball league. So open your ears b-ballers and embrace the sounds of truth, because “the Revolution Will Not be Televised.” Ya heard? Thanks for the jewel, Mr. Gill Scott Herron.

MannofStat: J-Rock, what’s good Dunn?

J-Rock: What’s good mann.

MannofStat: You took 3 stitches to the eye. The next game you played with a latex glove to protect the abrasions on your shooting hand. Injuries have been somewhat of an issue. Will you be 100% for the playoff stretch?

J-Rock: I mean, being 100% is a luxury. In society, as a convicted felon on death row, my essence is already degraded to some degree. We sleep on steel and ball on concrete. Just because you see blood, don’t make it a foul. This is death row b-ball. There is no 100% guarantee.

Even if my body is feeling good, my subconscious might be in the courts with the State Bureau of Investigations or the Racial Justice Act, but you battle and you learn. You play through whatever. That’s the making of a champion.

MannofStat: For sure.

Silk: No doubt.

MannofStat: Silk, do you think your squad can make a legitimate run in the playoffs?

Silk: All I can say is don’t sleep on us cause we can be somebody’s nightmare. My dream was always to play ball. I didn’t get to finish school so this death row tournament is the closest I can get to my dream right now. Come playoffs, I’m a bring it. Not just for me, but for my teammates and everyone responsible for helping me improve my game. You’ll see.

MannofStat: I don’t doubt it Dunn. I watched you bring the heat last season when you took top 6th man and rookie of the year honors.

Silk: Yeah, we (team Locked & Loaded) won the chip and we broke one of your precious team “Dynasty” records too.

MannofStat: (Laughs)

J-Rock: (Laughs) Which one?

Silk: Margin of victory, Rock. 46 points. Respect the game fellas.

MannofStat: Respect

Silk: It was a good year with “Locked and Loaded,” but I felt like I had a lot to prove last season. You know, I was trying to establish myself as a baller. This season, I wanna be the reason my teammates get better.

MannofStat: What type of impact has death row b-ball had on your life J-Rock?

J-Rock: At times, its been troublesome, yet rewarding. A growth experience, you know trial and error. The court is a place where I can break out of my normal reticence. Nothing is hidden. Any feelings or emotions that are camouflaged elsewhere are revealed on the court.

MannofStat: No doubt. You gotta leave it all on the court to be recognized as one of the best.

J-Rock: For real, I mean, prison is like being in an atmosphere of stealth. I’ve learned that being an athlete is a service. Ballers provide entertainment, a past time for fans. It’s no different on the row. Feel me?

MannofStat: Most definitely, Dunn. Ms. Angela Davis said it best: “Walls turned sideways are bridges.” Death row b-ball is the bridge that fills the gap between us and the masses. And, if you don’t know, now you know. Word is bond!

Keep on Keepin,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment