Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 9 Rap Session

B-ballers,


The final week of our b-ball tournament is upon us. It’s the part of the season where I love what’s to come, but I hate when it’s over. Feel me?  With 2 playing days remaining, I caught up with the title hoisting tandem of player and coach, “Lil’ Magic” and his coach “Slick Rick.” Over the past 3 seasons, the two have collaborated for 2 championships and an all-time best, 39-6 record. Word is bond!

But, this season has cast a major pothole in the middle of their road to glory. The absence of “Lil’ Magic” from the year’s postseason is big. Looking in the stat book and not recording his numbers seems foreign to me: “Rebound Lil’ Magic, assist Lil’ Magic, steal Lil’ Magic, basket & 1, Lil’ Magic.” I mean, if I’m going through withdrawal, I can only imagine what his coach is experiencing. Well, I guess the only way to find out is to ask. Right?

MannofStat: Madd drama coach.

Slick: Yeah MannofStat, it is.

MannofStat: You lose the league’s reigning M.V.P. right before the playoffs, but you gained a 1st team All-World selection and a former Defensive Player of the Year. Are you relieved or still disappointed?

Slick: Losing Lil’ Magic was a tough blow. He gives so much to his team as a leader. The intangibles he brings to a team is immeasurable. In the past 2 years he’s won the chip. So, its disappointing to know that he won’t be in this year’s postseason defending his title. But, we have to move on. What’s done is done. The addition of “E-Smoove” and “Bucktown” gives us a legitimate shot at winning the chip and for that, I’m relieved.

MannofStat: “Lil’ Magic,” your backcourt was basically unstoppable this year. HBO and Showtime put up some phenomenal numbers. What adjustments will your squad have to make in your absence?

Lil’ Magic: They’re definitely gonna have to trust each other more. And, everyone is gonna have to step their game up a notch. (Pauses and shakes his head)

MannofStat: It’s killing you not to be out there competing, isn’t it?

Lil’ Magic: No doubt man. I feel bad for letting my team down, by not being able to finish the year. I can’t blame nobody but myself for getting a write-up for something so minor.

MannofStat: That’s real talk Dunn, but you know “Heart-N-Soul” is gonna bring the show to the people. If your role players bring the heat, it shouldn’t be that difficult to overcome your absence.

Lil’ Magic: True that MannofStat. I don’t doubt that “Nasty Nas” and “Billy Ho” can step it up, but I’d much rather be in the heat of the battle with my teammates. Not watching them from the sidelines.

Slick: Let me say this, I expect “Nasty Nas” and “Billy Ho” to take their games to the next level. Both of them are capable of taking it over. They have to play like there is no tomorrow, because its now or never.

MannofStat: Aight. Well, tell me this coach, with your recent acquisition of “TNT,” is Mayhem still the favorite to win the chip?

Slick: Of course. I mean, they won their last 11 games including the last 2 against us (Gatlins). They’re the regular season champs. They’re definitely the team to beat, but there are four teams fighting for the chip. So, for now, team Mayhem is the favorite. But, the team that wants it the most will be the favorite when the final buzzer sounds.

Lil’ Magic: “The Phenom” is a tough match up for anybody. He’s a great player and he has a strong supporting cast, which will make it even tougher to stop him. If we can contain him and force his teammates into taking some bad shots, I think we can beat them.

Note: “Mayhem” defeated the “Gatlins” 66-54. Team “Gatlins” will play “Elixir” tomorrow. The winner faces “Mayhem” in the championship game/games. So, the predictions of “Lil’ Magic” and “Slick Rick” can still come to pass. Ya heard?

Be Easy,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment