Monday, November 8, 2010

Bringing the Heat: Week 8 Rap Session

B-ballers,


What’s poppin?

Life is surely what you make it. So, it shouldn’t be hard to conceive the thought of a death row prisoner establishing a legacy founded on authenticity, diligence and positivity. My existence is defined by my ability to facilitate others. As the MannofStat, I don’t create enthusiasm, I convey it. Feel me?

This week’s Rap Session is more of a graduation than an interview. The Phenom has spent more than a decade establishing himself as more than just a scorer. Over the years his growth as a baller has been nothing short of phenomenal. Na mean?

The league’s all-time leading scorer has claimed another scoring title (33 points per game). His squad, Mayhem (11-1) is the top seed going into the postseason and the letter “P” in the abbreviation M.V.P now stands for “Phenom.” Ya heard?

MannofStat: Phenom, what it do?

Phenom: What’s poppin?

MannofStat: Mayhem is doing work, Dunn.

Phenom: No doubt.

MannofStat: Every time I see that Allstate commercial, I think of all the damage your squad is doing.

Phenom: Dollar for dollar, nobody protects you from Mayhem like Allstate. (Laughs)

MannofStat: (Laughs) I mean, you ended the regular season on an 11 game winning streak.

Phenom: True indeed.

MannofStat: The last time you were on a squad that finished the regular season on a lengthy winning streak was in 2007 with the “Undertakerz.” Talk about how that season ended and how it compares with this season.

Phenom: The Undertakerz, under the strict and enthusiastic coach, “Smokey” was nothing short of exhilarating. He made sure that every member of our squad made a contribution, including himself, shouting encouraging epithets from the sideline (Laughs).

MannofStat: No doubt. (Laughs) “Smoke-Digga” has never been known for biting his tongue. Ya heard?

Phenom: That’s real. We ended that regular season strong and like this season, after losing that opening game, we said: “Yo, we’re better than this.” And, with that realization, we played better. Our 2007 season ended with us (Undertakerz) winning the chip and that’s how I see this season’s run. It’s all about heart and determination, something that team Mayhem has plenty of.

MannofStat: I can’t help but think about me, you, Tricky Trap and E-Boogie (R.I.P.) doing our thing back in the day. What has changed the most about your game since those hot summer days on D-block?

Phenom: That’s a good question. For one, I have to rely more on my jump shot now rather than penetration. To sum it up, you can say I have a grown man’s game. Like yours, only a little more flare (Laughs).

MannofStat: Aight, you want me to put the pen down and come out of retirement don’t you? (Laughs)

Phenom: (Laughs) No need man. You Tricky Trap and E-Boogie (R.I.P) are iconic to me. Playing with you and against you guys was an honor. Real talk.

MannofStat: That’s what’s up.

Phenom: If I can, I would like to comment on a past interview you had with Lil’ Bison and Concrete.

MannofStat: Do what you do, Dunn. Leave the masses with some realness.

Phenom: Well, the question was: “how has death row b-ball affected their lives?” Their responses touched me. Their words reverberated my thoughts. We are called the worse of the worst due to a propagation of fear and insufficient understanding. Feel me?

MannofStat: For sure.

Phenom: This is a good look, MannofStat. We need all of the positive press that we can get.

MannofStat: Word is bond!

Nuff said,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2010 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment