Sunday, December 4, 2011

Concrete Soul: Preseason Rap Session



These events occurred previously in the summer of 2011                             

B-ballers, 

What’s good?
The sign-up sheets have been posted.  It’s official.  The 2011 death row basketball tournament will jump off in May.  Our annual draft will take place next week.  So sign your name on the designated line, if you’ve got the skillz to send the rock through the twine.  Ya heard?
Last season, the masses experienced the high temperatures of “Bringing the Heat.” In 2011, the masses will feel the rhythm of the bounce.  “Concrete Soul” is now upon us.  Feel me?
This will be our final preseason “Rap Session.” Allow me to introduce you to “The Carpenter.” Off the court, we know him as the easy going big man, “Chubb.” But, when the court is dry and the ball goes in the air, this 6’4” 267lb easy going big man, becomes a daunting presence in the paint.  He is by far, the most controversial character of all the ballers on the row.  Real talk.
“The Carpenter” invited me to his workshop to discuss his plans to add to his rebounding legacy – He owns the single game rebounding record (22) – and to elaborate on his passion for this game.  Opponents beware, “The Carpenter” is building his legacy.  Na mean?

MannofStat:  In the last two seasons, you’ve established yourself as the rebounding giant, better known as “The Carpenter,” but give us the history on the name “Chubb.”
Carpenter:  “The Carpenter” is a moniker I earned due to my ability to handle the boards on either end of the court.  As for the history of the name, “Chubb,” it came about when people would hear my mother call me.  My name is actually “Chabby,” but people will hear what they wanna hear.  Over the years, I just let the name “Chubb” stick.
MannofStat:  Talk to me about your passion for the game.
Carpenter:  My goal is to always be productive. To get to the big dance, I have to do better than I did last year.  My guys have to understand that my passion for this game is not meant to be taken as negativity.  I mean, some ballers are more vocal or animated than others.  Because of my extreme desire to win, I am that baller.
MannofStat:  Are you the best big man this league has seen?  If not, who is?
Carpenter:  (Laughs)  Without a doubt!!  I am the best big man in this league.  My stats speak volumes.  Double-double nearly every game.  I average 16 boards a game.  It’s what I do, MannofStat.
MannofStat:  (Laughs) What about the nonbelievers? 
Carpenter:  Well, for those who think otherwise, they’ll need to get with you and your stat crew, because your crew records the truth and nothing but the truth.
MannofStat: (Laughs)
Carpenter:  I’m serious.  You can hate it or love it.  Pass me by in the draft, you’ll hate it.
MannofStat:  I feel you.
Carpenter:  (Changing his voice and looking toward the sky) “Man, I should have picked that dude.” That’s what they always say.  The coach that I play for will love it.  He’ll know that he’s got a passionate baller.  He might hate that I walk to the beat of my own drum, but I’m still a team player.
MannoStat:  Do you think b-ball makes a difference on death row?
Carpenter:  Of course!  It pulls us (the ballers) and even those who don’t play, away from the daily monotony and stress of being here, at least for a little while.  And, I really enjoy the trash talk that comes with it.
MannofStat:  That’s what up.  Thanks for your candidness, “Chabby.” (Laughs)
Carpenter:  (Laughs) It’s all good, MannofStat.
Both:  (Bump fists.)

Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment