Sunday, December 18, 2011

Concrete Soul: Rap Session, Week 3

B-ballers, 

What’s good?
Role players. A championship is nothing more than a mirage without them. With them? The chip is inevitable. Hakeem “The Dream” had Mario Elie. “Air” Jordan had B.J. Armstrong. Kobe “Bean” Bryant had Derek Fisher. And, “Dr. J” had Bobby Jones, a.k.a. “The Secretary of Defense.” Proof that role players help the best players achieve greatness. Feel me?
To me, watching basketball is much deeper than who’s going to score the next basket. I enjoy observing the intangible qualities of a baller. I mean, have the patience to make the extra pass, game clock awareness or shifting the momentum of a game, by diving for a loose ball are all qualities of a good ball player, that won’t show up in a statline. However, I applaud these efforts, because greatness on the court can’t be accomplished without the gritty efforts of the role player. Ya heard?
Me and Geezy go back like bucket seats in a 86’ Maxima. Like most role players, he’s comfortable in the back seat, but today is his opportunity to take the front seat and drive us into his perspective of death row b-ball. Na mean?
MannofStat: Geezy, what it do, Dunn?
Geezy: I’m good
MannofStat: I know interviews ain’t really your thing, so I appreciate your time for this rap session.
Geezy: It’s all good, MannofStat. Talking b-ball with you is always a pleasure.
MannofStat: Well, we’re definitely gonna talk some b-ball. But, first things first, how long have you been on the row?
Geezy: (Laughs) I see we’re starting out with the tough questions first, huh?
MannofStat: (Laughs) Gotta give the people what they want Geezy.
Geezy: Ah man, It’s been a minute. I actually got here in April 2000.
MannofStat: I’m gonna turn the clock back then.
Geezy: Let’s do it
MannofStat: D-block, what up?
Geezy: Oh man. Cats were ballin crazy hard. See, back then we only went outside twice a week. So, dudes were trying to get it in. Straight grudging and T’ings.
MannofStat: Word is bond.
Geezy: Before you continue, MannofStat, I gotta shout out Ed Lemons, Diesel, Wakil, John Daniels and of course yo’self, Da MannofStat. It was all love back then. But crazy intense.
MannofStat: How has your game improved over the years?
Geezy: One word, MannofStat. “Ambidextrous.” To be honest, watching yo’self, E-Boogie and Puff, all the cats with the dual handed skillz. It really left an impression on me. So yeah, working on my left hand has to be my most accomplished improvement. Also, the I.Q. that comes with the years of playing.
MannofStat: Is winning a championship in your near future?
Geezy: Most def, fam. I think coach “Petey Crack” (Lil’ Magic) assembled a decent squad this year. Chaos will definitely contend for the chip. The level of completion is high, but we’ve got some returning vets and some new recruits and everybody has their eyes on the prize. So, we’ll see.
MannofStat: That’s what’s up. Keep on keepin, Geezy.
Geezy: No doubt.
Both: (Bump fists) 

Stay Up,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2012 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment