Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Final Preseason Rap Session

B-ballers,

What it do?
On the eve of the NBA finals, I can’t help but think of the great championship squads of the past.  In doing so, the point guard position immediately comes to the forefront of my thought:  “Magic” Johnson and the “Showtime” Lakers.  Rajon Rondo and the Celtics “Big 3.” “Zeke” Thomas and the “Bad Boys” from Detroit.  Even the great Haeem “The Dream” had the sharp shooting and shifty ball handling skills of the King from Queens, Kenny “The Jet” Smith.  In my personal opinion, the b-ball universe revolves around the “Point god.” Ya heard?
Speaking of Queens, NY our first regular season rap session is with a spirited baller – who hails from Queens – and is never short of conversation once the call goes in the air.  It’s a pleasure to be in the company of my fellow point guard, “The General.”
MannofStat:  General, what’s going on, Dunn?
General:  Everything’s good, MannofStat. How you?
MannofStat:  Days away from my b-ball fix.  So you know what it is, right?
General:  No doubt.  It’s tournament time.  You get 7:30 like CharlieSheen when the whistles blow.
Both:  (Laughs, then bump fists)
MannofStat:  True indeed, but tournament or no tournament, you’re amped whenever the ball goes in the air.  What do you use as motivation on the court?
General:  My love and knowledge of the game and knowing that I can compete at a high level.
Mannofstat:  Do you look for a particular play when you’re bringing up the rock?
General:  Without question.  The “Pick-n-Roll.” I mean, when its done correctly, it’s a thing of beauty.
MannofStat:  What’s the make-up of a great point guard?
General:  A great point guard knows the strengths and weaknesses of each of his teammates.  He knows how to control the flow of the game.  He recognizes who’s hot and feeds them without a second thought.  He also has to be an extension of the coach on the floor.
MannofStat:  That’s what’s up.  What are your expectations for team Hustle?
General:  I think we’ll win it all.
MannofStat:  Word?
General:  Most definitely.  You heard it here first, MannofStat.  We have a good balance of youth and wisdom.  We’ve got some talent on this squad. Throw in a good coach (Smoke-Digga) , it all smells like a title to me.
MannofStat:  Aight.  I feel your energy, Dunn.  If you could, you’d drop somebody off at that cup, right now, wouldn’t you?
General:  I’m amped MannofStat!  Let me shout out my team Hustle. We got the tools to do it baby!  J-Rock, Scoop and Bigg Dogg.  This is our time!  Ya heard?
MannofStat:  You spoke of the talent around you.  How can you make your teammates better?
General:  I know what each player can and can’t do.  I’ll have to put them in situations where they’ll thrive.  It’s my job to work with them on and off the court. I’ll know they’re sweet-spots so that we can flow as a unit.
MannofStat:  That’s what’s good, Dunn.
General:  Yo, MannofStat.  Good lookin, Dunn.  I mean this format gives me a chance to spit about my love for this game.  Feel me?
MannofStat:  No doubt.  Handle your business General.
Both:  (Bump fists)
Keep it 100,

MannofStat
Copyright © 2011 by Leroy Elwood Mann

No comments:

Post a Comment